Step 4: Customizing your blog
When you log in for the first time, you’ll see a dashboard or admin panel.Hover over to top right corner and click <Visit Site> to see your blog, which by the way looks quite basic and don’t almost have any feature.The visual appearance of WordPress blog is basically controlled by themes. So without wasting time let’s get started right away.
Steps involved to beautify your blog:
- Go to <Appearance> and select <Themes> in WordPress dashboard and then select <Add New>.
- In the next screen, many themes will appear on the screen either you can choose any one of them or can have more options by selecting different categories like <Featured>, <Popular>, <Latest> and <Favourites> alternatively you can also search for a particular theme and click on <Install>.
- Once the installation is over click on <Activate>.
- Your site will now look like this.
- Themes are mainly for visualization, however, to add custom functions to your blog the best option is using Plugins.
- Plugins are very handy add-ons that range from marketing to developing core areas of your blog, it reduces the constraints of coding and mostly works on the WYSIWYG(what you see is what you get) principle. Installing plugins is quite similar to that of themes, just hover over to the <Plugins> menu below <Appearance> in the WordPress Dashboard and click <Add new>.
Some of our theme recommendations are Mesocolumn, Catch, Tesseract, etc they are quite easy to use with drag and drop page builder.
Some of our plugins recommendations are loginizer, Yoast SEO, WP Super Cache, beaver builder, WP Forms, etc.
Hope you guys will like those mentions and with this, we are done with the customization and editing section.
Step 5: How to add new page and post ?
Almost all blogs have few thing in common especially few sets of pages like About Us, Contact Us, Blog, etc. Adding pages and posts is one of the easiest feature in WordPress and quite similar to the likes of themes and plugins installation. We can add pages and post by two methods:
- Click on the ‘+‘ button at the top and select <Page> or <Post>
- Click on <Page> or <Post> at the top left side of WordPress Dashboard and select <Add New>.
- After which you can easily customize the page and post accordingly in a WordPad like editor by adding descriptions, videos or images, and links.
Click next page to see the final and last step of this tutorial ——->>